Monday, January 18, 2010

Tired and sore

Pretty much describes the weekend. Three days of shows meant three days of getting up well before the sun and heading out for the two hour drive. We had fun, and Kate did great. For the very first time I didn't spend the week before in a near panic state, and that was wonderful. I learned a lot this weekend. Each evening I came home and studied the breed standard, and the next day still had a tough time figuring out what the judge was, and was not, seeing in the dogs each one was placing. The best part is that I know what I am liking, and that I know what Kate has and has not (although I still want Kim to critique for me sometime). As she (Kate, not Kim) continues to mature she will do better and better. My favorite class to watch has to be the BBE (Bred by Exhibitor) class. There is a sense of pride that is palpable. It is well deserved as there are some nice pups in there. Perhaps someday...No, No, NOOOOOO, lalalalala.

Saturday starts and I am fresh and clean, as is Katelan. I primp and iron and take the suit coat out of its bag, all clean and pressed. Kate is brushed, chalked, and her hair is fluffed and sprayed. However, once out of the ring I find that a part to my leg is malfunctioning. I need to head home and change it out before Sunday. Sunday starts off on the wrong foot, so to speak. The PA system is messed up and only if we REALLY concentrate hard can we hear the National Anthems. I had studied my breed standard and was completely confused, which is really no surprise, as that tends to be my state of mind at shows anyway. Then I hear over the now loud sound system. "Well folks, it's early in the show but we already have things gathering in the lost and found....(blah, blah, blah,) and one left shoe." sigh. I had wondered where my shoe had gone. I was pretty sure I had packed it, but when I was getting ready at ringside I only had one. The worst was going to claim it. Oh how I wish I had my shorts on. Perhaps then they would not have laughed at me quite so hard. The good news is that the part on the leg held, so there was no threat of losing it. So, that brings us to today, or last night. I fell into bed and started to read. The power went out. So I stumbled around and found my flashlight then set the phone alarm, called the power company (whose recording stated that power would be restored around 6am) and eventually fell asleep. Sadly I had decided to splurge on a Grub Hut burger and onion rings as my birthday dinner. BIG MISTAKE. I had heartburn big time. Lesson learned. Next time I will just go for the cheesecake. The wind was roaring something awful. I dozed on and off until 5 and got up. I turned on the news and heard about how bad the wind and rain, in spots, was, so decided to leave the house by 6:30. I didn't know if I would run into traffic or not, and knew that the Narrows Bridge was going to be an interesting ride, which it truly was. The road actually was moving under the truck. Moving enough that I could feel it. All I could think about was the news clip my Dad had of "Galloping Gertie;" the former version of the Narrows Bridge, that ended up in the water following a bad wind. I just wanted to get to the other side. It was a white knuckle ride. So today saw me rumpled and a tad "unkept" and I didn't care. Kate had a once over with the brush, but that was it for her as well. I was still tasting the onion rings and had the usual headache, that had somehow eluded me the past two days. We got to the fairgrounds early enough to stop and hear how my favorite double blue did on his first round in Rally. 100! Perfect score. I wish I had gotten to see him perform, as I had the day before when he won his class. I think we may have to give it a try, but no one shines like Casper. I headed back for ring check in. This time I wore my shoes. This time I came home with a huge broken blister. I guess it really doesn't pay to get cheap shoes, even for showing. I just can't risk it.

So another series is over. And the last time I give myself double ring time. It's time to be a big girl and start entering into "Open" instead of "American Bred." Four people have told me that I am doing Kate a disservice, but I was doing it more to get the experience in the ring. Now Kate will be competing with the big girls. I think we are ready.

I have my wounds to tend this time, literally. It won't slow me down, but I do wonder why I enjoy this so much.


1 comment:

Lori Thornbrue said...

One of my favorite books is Karen, the story of a little girl with cerebral palsy. As she gets older, she show Newfoundlands. I love reading about all the grooming, etc., that goes into the showing. It was a wonderful thing for her. Made me wish I liked dogs!