Friday, January 1, 2010


and so it begins

I must admit that I don't "do" New Year's Eve. To me it is but another evening. I heard fireworks at around 9:30pm, and I went to bed at 10. However, this morning I decided that I needed to get into the spirit of the new year. I had read about a lot of Polar Bear club dips and thought it could be fun. However, the idea of joining a mob of people that run in and then out just didn't seem to fit my particular needs. Truth is, I wasn't sure how the heck I was going to do it. The swim is no big deal. I knew that my pool was much colder than Puget Sound. There is still a layer of ice on my pool. The Sound sits around 48 degrees year round. As a kid I swam in the Sound often. But back then I had two lower extremities. So I decided my best option was crutches to the water line. It is freaking cold to wade in to, as is my pool in the summer. I would much prefer to go off the pier or dock. I just couldn't figure out how to do that safely. Next year I will find a place where I can leave crutches on the beach and take off my leg on the dock and jump in. Either that or I will find a couple of people crazy enough to join me that will help walk me back up the beach. At any rate, with the wind blowing and the temps about what the water was, it felt surprisingly warmer than I expected.

Check another thing off the Bucket List.

When I got home I sawed a hole in the barn door and installed a window; Windy's Christmas present. I am hoping she will be more willing to hang in the barn if she can see out both ends. I still have to frame it, but the Plexiglas is in and secure on the inside. I just need to frame the outside so it looks more finished. The up side is that it is much lighter in the tack area. Right now the electric is off out there as the motion sensor lights are not going off and I haven't gotten around to replacing them. Re-setting hasn't worked and I am likely going to pay now for going cheap back then. So it goes. While I was out sawing, neighbor "Jim" came by to cuss and spit as he told his tales of woe on moving. Yes, indeedy, he is gone. Tonight he is sleeping in his new place far away from here. He said he will be leaving a mess, so it may be a bit before the house goes on the market. I really feel for the family of the landlord. Losing someone so close to Christmas makes a mess of the holiday for years to come. I hope that I get a chance to talk with them when they come to work on the place. They may find it makes sense to hire someone to do the cleaning. The place is quite small, but I can only imagine how messy it may be. I sure hope someone buys it that loves it, and the trees around it. I also want to make sure that it is properly measured and marked. I have only a clue where my property lines are, and I may be needing to fence depending on the new owner.

Tomorrow will see the Christmas tree coming down and the house cleaned. I think it is time to paint. (Gee, thanks for the inspiration, Kim.) This summer I will need to paint the outside of the house. I might as well get practiced by doing the inside this winter. I have wanted to do it since I moved in. Now, six dogs later it is past time. I had a scot that loved to wipe herself off by rubbing along the walls. I have a dark line about a foot off the floor. The two I have now don't do the wall rub tango. I know the color I want, but haven't been able to find it as of yet. I will take a trip to Sherwin Williams and see what they can find that is close...then I will go to Home Depot because I am cheap.

Two weeks from today will be the first day of the Puyallup show. My instructor is home with a new litter of Newfie of them. Hopefully she can still fit me in for grooming help during the week before. All three of my fur-kids had pedicures yesterday. The dogs get done each week. Kate is easy. Henry, not so. He is getting there. Now he submits to the muzzle, so we are getting there. One baby step at a time. I'm hoping someday to be able to use the grinder on him as well. It does a much nicer job and I have yet to draw blood using it. With Henry's feet issues it may be a long while before he will tolerate the vibration.

2010 will be a year of a lot of firsts. I look forward to each and every adventure that I get to encounter.


1 comment:

Lori Thornbrue said...

I love all your stories. No way could I plunge into cold water. We have always had a pool here in Utah, and I can't go in in August because the nights get too cold and it cools down the pool too much, even though the day might be 100 degrees. Amazing woman, you! Glad you had a great family fest.