Saturday, December 5, 2009

Blue sky and big black birds

At three this afternoon I heard the familiar call of the resident eagle over head. The ground has not thawed at all in the past couple of days and from what I hear will be in the 20s at night for the next week. The sky is bright blue and there is just a slight breeze blowing off Puget Sound. It is beautiful. Of course every time I see or hear the eagle or the family I think of my good friend, Sunshine. We had that too. Unfortunately the freeze also meant that I really needed to deal with the pool, as the water level was way too high and the pump is frozen. So while the dogs played in the pasture with the horse I headed to the pump house to take apart the pump. This time it is going to get a total rebuild. No more messing around. I dropped the submersible into the pool and found the only open hose and began the process of dropping the water level by a few inches. Then I took the pump out of the pool filtration system and ice skated my way to the back door. It is now in my bathroom where I will work on it in the next day or two. Meanwhile water pours out of the hose and down the driveway. I may be stuck here if it freezes over before it gets a chance to soak in a little bit, but better that than a cracked pool, eh? I find some pebbles have gotten into the pump housing, and that is likely what has caused it to freeze up. If I can't fix it there is a nice little electrical shop in the next town over that I will take it, and all the new gaskets to, but I suspect with the help of the World Wide Web I can get the job done.

Last night I spent the evening with my son and his two girls. At ages five and three each sentence begins with "let's pretend that..." I must say, the three year old is the bestest sleeping ballerina I have ever seen. While I worried that the Christmas tree would come crashing down as she danced and twirled with eyes tightly shut, she never even came close to it. We also went to a less than exciting "Holiday Fest." The kids' favorite thing was the museum that was on the premises. It had nothing to do with the festival, but they liked it so it was good we went in for respite from the cold. The most humorous part of the evening was Santa lighting the Christmas tree. A few seconds before Santa came out on the deck of the building for the countdown, two men dressed in their reflective vests wandered out toward the tree. The countdown began and as Santa spoke "ONE" the men bent down and plugged in the tree. Lame...and I know lame. I think that little fiasco can be written off for next year. Nice for me, however, in that I got to spend time with the girls, but we could have had fun going to the dump!

So the Christmas season has begun, in all of its Political Correctness. sigh. I think the dose we received last night was even a bit too much for the three and five year old. The went home to their Nativity Scene and pretty CHRISTMAS lights.

Let's pretend that people are really sick and tired of the PC thing and want to get real again, OK?

I'm off to enjoy the last light of the day with my stumpy family now. I think we will venture into the woods and see if we can find our eagle friend.

G2

No comments: