Monday, June 28, 2010

The plot thickens

as does the algae.

So I go to the pool store to pick up my many pounds of bicarb and pot ash for the pool, which is greener than ever. I decide to take in another sample since I want to know for sure what I will need to add. This time the owner is there...yes!! He tests the water and says that the pH is really not that bad but the alkalinity is way off, but worse, the cyanuric acid level is through the roof. OK. Wait. Say what? There is no chemical cure for high CA levels?None. I must drain the pool and refill, which will fix the pH and alkalinity as well. Do not buy the bags yet. OK, we are talking 30,000 gallons of water in the pool. Drain at least half, says pool guy. Where will I drain that water? Right now there is a hose stretched into the woods. First I will water all my gardens. The rhodies should enjoy the acid water. It is not enough to hurt the plants, says guy, but will render the chlorine useless. AND, it is a by-product of the chlorine tablets. It is the stabilizer. sigh. Now my idea of getting rid of the pool is really burning in my head. There will be little if any swimming this year. I have had the pool pump running for almost three months trying to clean up the pool. I bought a new solar cover. I bought a box of shock. So far this season it has probably cost me about $400-$500 and I haven't been able to get into the thing. So I am contemplating listing the pool equipment. I must commit one way or the other first, however, because once I start selling things off it is a done deal. For now I have the small submersible pump slowly feeding water to the trees. I didn't figure I wanted to use the pool pump as it will dump a lot of water very fast and guarantee flooding. This will take hours, and hours, and hours. That might give me time to decide if I am going to fill it back up or continue to pump it down. Bummer!!

G2

**Update: it has been four hours and the water level has dropped maybe three inches. It will be interesting to see how it does overnight. This may take a few days.**

No comments: