Friday, May 29, 2009

"Googling"

The term basically means to do a computer search for something. We have all done it. We have all received some incredibly valuable information. While I wish I could say that I will not "google" a medical thing again; I will likely cross that line, but will take the information gained a LOT lighter.

I learned many years ago to get my information from a health care provider. If I have one that won't give me the information straight up, then I find another that will be as honest and as straight forward as I am with my questions.

Case in point: my daughter's pregnancy. I had myself pretty darn worked up because I did an internet search on a condition that appeared quite dire. She was wonderful and had me go with her to an appointment today. Questions in hand, I had a little chat with her attending. This is one of those cases that likely would not have been seen before the new fancy ultrasound machines. Bottom line: all is fine. She has been cleared for the 3 Day walk. As in any pregnancy, things can change, but there is no reason to think that this will effect either the pregnancy or the child.

Another case in point: my own disease. There is a bit more information now than there was a few years ago, but there is also a lot of misinformation. I decided before my last relapse that I would stay away from the computer with regards to care and treatment. One of the infusions made me pretty sick and I was unable to even think straight enough to call a pharmacist friend to find if I was having a normal reaction. My daughter was with me and did a quick search on the medication and found that I was having a common reaction. I found that quite comforting, but later verified the finding with a "real" medical person.

So, while doing internet web surfing, take it for what it is...entertaining. When I watch the news, I tend to ignore all the negative "stuff." For me it is a bit tougher to do when searching for specific information. A friendly face is always better than a computer screen filled with words and pictures. I can find enough information to build a case for, or against, almost anything. This is another thing that is different when a person is giving the information.

In a few days I will quit kicking myself for doing what I told myself not to do. Now, however, with the great news, I can kick myself with a sly smile. Happiness has replaced the dread, and we will be walking together as planned.

G2

1 comment:

Stephanie Frieze said...

It is amazing and wonderful the amount of information we have literally at our finger tips, but you're right, you need to evaluate sources. If web addresses end in an ".edu" or a ".org" you can feel fairly confident that it's not some weirdo in his underwear in a garage in Florida or something similar. If you see misspellings (true spelling there is a Holocaust site that misspelled Holocaust) that's another red flag.

I am pleased that all is well with your daughter. I worried more over my daughter-in-laws pregnancies more than I did with any of mine, even after I'd had a baby with Down's Syndrome.