Thursday, December 18, 2008

Static in the snow




Henry cannot help himself. He MUST steal Windy's carrot.
Why is it that when I am unable to go out all I can think about is what I need and where I need to go? Not only that, I get nothing done while sitting here. I have many things I could be doing, but I sit like a slug, OK bad example; they are all hidden away, or dead from the freeze.
My days are consumed with carrying wood in to keep the house warm. If I don't keep the fire going it gets VERY cold, very fast. Even the dogs are bored. I take them out a couple of times a day, but they quickly get cold.
The snow has stopped but the temperature is dropping. It is now in the low 20s. We have about 5" now. Up north they have 27"; we just are not used to this stuff. We do rain, not snow.
The horse has hair that would make a bear envious. The forums have a constant debate going on blanketing or not blanketing. I have decided that unless she is shivering she is best off with no blanket. The self described experts AGAINST blanketing say that the blanket puts weight on the hair so it cannot stand up, which acts as an insulator. When I got her she was weaning a filly and was a bit lean. She wore her blanket at night. Now I am a bit scientific with it all. Besides the shivering I bury my fingers into her "wool." Even though she has snow standing on her back I have found that her skin is toasty warm. If she is really, really wet I will blanket her for the night if it is below freezing. By morning she is always dry. I am not an expert on anything horse related; it is a good thing that Windy doesn't know she is a horse. She has even followed me into the house before, but that is a bit much even for me...have you ever seen how much "fluid" they can put out?
Tonight was to be the program at the Preschool. All the grandkids go to the same school now and I was really looking forward to it. They always do a Christmas program which is a replay of the Nativity. Amelia was to be Mary and I think Schyler and Lilly were Angels. It will still happen, but it will be after Christmas.
Sunday Stopher is in a play at church. With more snow coming in I will likely miss that as well. It is really nice to have the kids celebrating the true meaning of Christmas. It just warms my heart as nothing else can.
I guess I will go vegetate more and think of the things that I could be doing and the things I want to be doing. You know, this cold just saps all the energy right out of me...yea right!!
Something to ponder:
The Cardigan Welsh Corgi is believed to have descended from the Teckel Dogs, or the Dachshunds. Its origins are believed to date back to more than 3000 years, to the period of around the 1200 BC. when the Celtic tribes brought them to Wales from Central Europe. The word ‘Corgi’ means ‘dwarf dog’ in Welsh. The breed was developed to its present form in Cardiganshire, Wales and finds mention in the Domesday Book, written in 1086 (a record of a survey of England ordered by William the Conqueror).
The Pembroke Welsh Corgi is believed to have descended, either from the Swedish Vallhund, probably introduced by the Vikings or from Schipperkes and Pomeranians that were brought by Flemish weavers. For several centuries, Pembrokes have been used by the Welsh as guardians of their farms. In 1934, they were recognized as a breed by both the English Kennel Club and the American Kennel Club. The Pembroke Welsh Corgi is very similar to the Cardigan Welsh Corgi and the two were freely interbred until the 1930s when breeders tried to separate them. Queen Elizabeth II had a Pembroke Welsh Corgi as a pet. Because of the royal patronage, and perhaps because of a slightly gentler personality, the Pembroke Welsh Corgi has become more popular than the Cardigan.
I have a wiener dog and a hairy fu-fu dog. Please don't tell them.
(I cannot find a consistant way to space my paragraphs. No matter how much I space and indent, tonight I get no paragraphs. THAT is the reason I have bold words at the start. I do ramble a bit, but not as much as it appears in some of my posts.)


G2


No comments: