Saturday, April 18, 2009

Big, Black and Cold (No, it's not Superfly)

It's my new freezer! It's not the smallest size, it's about double that square box type, has 8 cubic feet of storage space. How long have I talked about getting one of these? It's been years and years, nonspecific numbers of years. Well, Sears was able to get me while I was weak and ask if I would apply for a credit card. This is something I had no intention of owning. However, I was waiting for repairs to be done on my car at the nearby shop, and then I thought, maybe the checker gets brownie points if I go along....and I had good reason to expect they wouldn't approve me anyway, so I said why not. Wouldn't cha know. Now I have a sears card.

Which at first I planned to not use. But then I got to thinking. It is a fact that I have dug myself out of all debt, and made sure that my debtors wrote letters to that effect to Equifax, Experian and Transunion, all. I've been rewarded with a credit card from my bank which I use instead of debit cards, the better to earn points that turn into airline ticket vouchers. I pay it off every month, keeping honest I am.

In spite of the foregoing, it still was a shock when Sears approved a card, I still cannot understand it. In due time, I decided to buy the wee chest freezer that I wanted for lo these many years. I really didn't want to have to go through another summer full of freshly picked strawberries, blueberries, raspberries crying out to be harvested, frozen on cookie sheets, then bagged and laid away in the freezer to await the depth of winter. It costs $31 a year in electricity. The freezer was on sale and cost $250. Add $29 for them to deliver it and wrassle it to the third floor and into my apartment. It's an investment which won't realize its cost this year for sure, but maybe I'll break out the math skills and see if I can figure out when I'll break even. Meanwhile I'll have that secure feeling that having plenty of food set by gives me.

Then yesterday, I had to take my laptop back to Frye's for repair, the 'noise' came back with a vengeance. It has been diagnosed with a bad fan bearing, and I now have another loaner. One thing you must do when you have a loaner is go through the checkout line, just as though it were a purchase. They want you to sign on the dotted line and they want an imprint of my credit card to have on hand in case I make a run for it.

Then it happened...wouldn't I like to apply for a charge card? The young lady looked pleadingly into my eyes. I didn't fall for it this time, the last time, they actually gave me a card! No! It's Fry's, I really like to spend money at Fry's, I'm a computer geek. Even though I still don't believe they would give me one, the plain fact is I thought that and Sears did.

The retailers give off an air of desperation. They really do.

S2

1 comment:

2Grandmas2 said...

@#$%...Sears?? I can't even get myself to step into the store. (I guess you could say they are MY Wal-mart.) I hope they do you well. Congrats on the freezer, I know you have been wanting one since, well, since before we met! Trip done, I think it was time for the freezer.