Friday, April 10, 2009


It appears to be my day of "rest." The nice sunshine has become the typical liquid variety, so I have allowed myself to retreat to inside work. It was sorely needed as I have been outside during daylight hours. Now I sit in my half clean house and give myself an hour of computer time. Then I will be off to finish cleaning and get the carpet in my room cleaned. I always enjoy sitting and looking at the house when it is clean. I haven't a clue why I don't just keep it this way. For the most part it is the dusting and vacuuming that are a constant need. With two dogs, and me, in and out all day I guess a lot of dirt follows us in. Each week I strive to set aside one day a week to just do the dusting and vacuuming. Now that I am posting it, perhaps it will become a reality.

I sat last night and designed a bed frame for the spare room. I have been watching for one for a couple of weeks, but nothing has materialized and I really want to get that room done. I was making a material list and suddenly realized that I had the perfect wood out in the carport. I was given some material for shelving. It is 1x10 and really nice wood. I think it is actually the "caps" for indoor wood stairs. It is exactly what I need. I will build a pedestal for the bed. It will be a box that will be topped with plywood that is a bit larger than the frame, and some nice trim. I don't have the expertise to do drawers, but think I will put some of the boxes from the closet in it before I put the top on. Stuff that I don't need to access very often, but won't part with, such as family pictures, Dad's slides, and all. Today I will finish the frame, but will have to wait until the middle of next week (pay day) to finish it up. At some point I will design and build a headboard to go with it. It is fun to use Dad's tools for some of these projects. I feel like he is working alongside me.

Yesterday I got the pasture seeded. I had to get my rock piles and boulders moved and biggest craters filled in prior to the seeding. I made the foolish choice of saving money by getting one of those hand crank seeders. There I am, like a pied piper, walking back and forth across the pasture, turning a little crank that broadcasts the seed all around. However, in my case I had two dogs and a horse walking in front. The neighbors must have gotten sick of hearing "MOVE!" and "GET AWAY" as I walked, back and forth. It will be interesting to see how much grass Windy sprouts as the days go on. They all three were probably just trying to figure out what the heck I was doing. I was frustrated because after each pass I had to brush seed off the animals. Hopefully a good amount will actually grow in the ground. The last boulder that I dug up was unmovable. I really don't know how I got it out of the ground. I was just going to roll it over next to the fence, but couldn't budge it. Creative leverage got it out, but I can't for the life of me remember what I did. I guess it was meant to be where it is. Maybe I will have the grandkids paint it this summer.

I like rainy Fridays. Why? Simple, actually. If it is good weather on a Friday the traffic through town is ugly. On Sundays the ferry line can be five miles long, and the out of towners are grumpy. It seems a waste of a weekend to sit in ferry lines on the east side, grumpy from a week of work, and get to the west side and have 36 hours of "break" then get grumpy knowing that there will be a line of this side. One of the things I fondly remember when I was looking at this house was that I heard no car horns blaring. Most of us "locals" tend to let other drivers merge into traffic. On Fridays and on Sundays I need to remember not to do that. There is a certain hand gesture that goes along with the blaring horn should I make the mistake of stopping and using MY hand gesture to invite someone from the shopping center lot to go ahead of me on the main road. I generally give those nice city folks with the misshapen hands a nice smile and wave. If I could I would happily give them a nice southern "Y'all have a nice day, y'hear?" Sadly, no matter how sickeningly sweet, I doubt it does much to make their time over here any better. 'Tis a shame.

With that, I will go back to gluing and nailing (I am actually using screws, but saying that, and working on a bed, might just give the wrong impression of my project.) I need to get the fire stoked up so that the glue will dry a bit faster.

Y'all have a nice weekend, y'hear?


Go head, all together now: AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

It appears some parasitic mass has invaded my daughter and has declared its cuteness to the rest of the family. It does appear to have a brain, so who knows what it can achieve upon its declaration of independence.

(For that matter is there ever a time of real independence? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm)

No comments: