Thursday, April 16, 2009

Song of the day

"If I had a hammer" sung by Peter, Paul, and Mary. It is stuck in my head for whatever the reason, and I decided I would hand it off to you! You can hear it, can't you? No amount of "People's Court" or Wii will give respite from this song. So, go on your way; it will be lurking in the nooks and crannies of your mind for at least the rest of the day. Sorry, I am hoping sharing will let me escape. I have even tried humming similar songs, sung by similar sounding people, and I still can't escape.

With that said, I sit here; the smell of cakes baking fills the house. It has been years since I baked a "real" cake. I have baked a few Angel Food cakes, but this is an honest to goodness cake which I will even frost...and take to a wedding reception tomorrow. I have grown accustomed to the lack of sugar around the house. The smell right now is wonderful, but I doubt I could actually eat more than a bite or two. It's like the switch to Diet Coke. I once took a swallow of full octane Coke to take some meds, and I thought I was drinking syrup. It was all I could do to gag it down. I am quite happy this way, although at times it would be nice to be able to escape with a carton of Ben and Jerry's like in the old days.

I have decided that I enjoy time away from electronics. I've gotten my computer time down to a couple of hours a day, tops. When I go outside I leave the cell phone, unless I am on a project that requires me to to something that would get me "in trouble" like cleaning gutters or building something from a ladder. I promised my daughter I would have the cell phone with me for that kind of thing. I suppose it would make more sense to keep it off or muted, and I will consider that possibility. I also turned off the answering machine and the TV is on only after evening chores are done. It is incredibly freeing. It is like I am giving myself undivided attention. Instead of just "hanging out" I am outside more; rain or shine. I am getting things done. I have so much more energy (even with these darn allergies); I think Stephen King could write a novel in which the electronics in our lives are slowly draining us of our life forces. I have the DVR, don't get me wrong. It is my "bestest friend." It is used as if I were renting DVDs of favorite shows. A lot of my favorites are piling up and I will have to go through it one of these days and delete a bunch. I haven't had the local ABC channel since before Christmas. I will possibly rent "Lost" as I hear it is good this season. Other than that I can't say that I miss it much. I now can understand how my son was able to discontinue cable/satellite and not miss it. He didn't want his kids to be able to access it, and I think he also realized that it was easy to be drawn in, and family time would soon suffer. Check out a 3 to 5 year old sometime when they are in front of the TV. They turn to little zombies. Weird and scary.

So, with that said I am out to water my bales of straw. Valley Nursery has lettuce plants on sale and I need to get some planted. I am also out to get some pictures of spring. It really does seem to have come, finally.

Remember: "If I had a hammer, I'd hammer in the morning; I'd hammer in the evening, all over this land".......

G2

No comments: