Monday, January 19, 2009

Is "Petrification" a word?

Yes, indeed, it is Amiee, the last of the Scottish Terriers to grace my bed at night. And, of course, I didn't really harvest her along with the other rocks and boulders.





An incredibly talented artist friend painted this rock for me as a birthday gift. The eyes really are Amiee...
When I moved here I brought along three dogs. Tillie, the matriarch of the scots, Arthur, a wonderful Rottie with Wobbler's disease, and Amiee. All were upper middle age. Within four years all were gone. Tillie and Arthur were helped to the bridge by a wonderful mobile vet who came to the house. Amiee finally succumbed at midnight one night, to organ failure brought on from her Cushing's disease. It was rough, to say the least. All dog breeds have some weakness, and with genetic research as it is, those problems are beginning to be bred out, making the purebred dog stronger...unless it is puppy mill bred, or turned into a "designer" mutt, but I will not go there. Suffice it to say that those kind of operations, as well as the backyard breeders, generally are not at all interested in producing sound animals, it is only about $$. Those "doodles" hold no health guarantees. A well bred dog does, believe it or not.
Anyway, back to Amiee the rock. I am in awe of this, and when given it did not really sit and look at it. Now that I have it brings a tear to the eye. Thanks, Sharon!!
G2

No comments: