Sunday, January 18, 2009

Yes, 'tis a bumper crop

of rocks! The past week I have spent at least a couple of hours each day removing big rocks from the pasture. It gives the corgwyns some frap time, and it is something that needs to be done so that I can seed again. Each year I broadcast seed the entire pasture. Funny, but the grass just doesn't grow well on rock. I am not talking the bitty drain field size rocks, of which there are plenty. I am talking rocks from softball size to bowling ball size. Each year more "grow." I have uncovered a few that I cannot get out. It would take blasting them to be able to remove them. I am guessing that one is at least the size of a grocery cart, without the wheels. So, my field, which just a few short weeks ago, was getting compliments from my neighbor with the "perfect" lawn, is now looking like it had a major mole infestation. One of my fears in taking on this project, is that my mini horse could step into a hole left by rock harvesting, and twist or break an ankle. So once I remove one I then have to stab all around the remaining hole with the shovel so that there is no longer a hole, but more of a "dip." Anyway, as I harvest I set the rocks in piles around the field and then bring in the wheelbarrow and remove them all and dump them onto what I have respectfully named "the ex." A couple of years ago someone came a took all the rocks away for her landscaping. I sort of missed having that boot hill type grave site/rock mound...where I mentally put the "ex."
Now I have a new spot, and it is quickly getting big enough to look, once again, like I have worked very hard to give him a proper burial. In reality, I am thinking buried alive under all those boulders. Ah, sweet revenge!! If I could just get that great big boulder out...

Dear Kate had her/our first handling class today. There were six to ten of us and after the hour we are all posing our dogs and the instructor picks the top four from which she then picks best of show. Katelan was the second pulled out! I am feeling so much more comfortable, but will do at least a couple more sessions before I go to Oregon. My biggest issue is that when we do the "down and back" she is wanting to smell the floor instead of walking proudly with her head up. That could kill it for us, so I will be working on that this week. I also am going to get out the dremel and do BOTH dogs' toenails. Henry goes past the "red line" whenever I try to do his toenails and I have been paying a groomer to muzzle him and do them. It is time for this silliness to stop. The instructor has a Shiba Inu who is the same way as Henry. She said that the trick was for her to just shut up and get relaxed by turning up the TV. When he went ballistic she did the hand on the trachea thing to assert her dominance. Once he cooled back down she continued until she was done. I will do the same with Henry. This is one of those times that it is good to live alone, and up in the woods. No one will be calling the ASPCA on me for torturing my dog.

Y'all have a great week. Each passing day gets us that much closer to spring!! I am noticing the light is lasting a bit longer now, but sadly I also noticed that the dogs' swimming pool has a layer of ice on it tonight. Two steps forward, one step back...

G2

When corgis frap their wormfots, then what happens? And pray tell, what is "to Frap the dogs"? You're going to need to make up a dictionary of 'dog speak' for the rest of us land lubbers :)
S2

S2

No comments: