Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Speed dating

Only one person who is reading this knows from whence this thought came...and that is part of the fun of this adventure in avoidance. You see, I have plenty to do, but don't want to do anything. So, of course, I come to the perfect tool of avoidance: my computer.

Anyway, I "bing"ed speed dating. (I hate bing, but didn't want to take the time to typle "google" into the address bar.) To my surprise, they are not just fodder for sit-com writers. There were 39,600,000 hits. I cannot even imagine the hits I would have have with a real search engine!! Wow. There is Speeddate. 8minutedate. My favorite would have to be: Hurrydate. There is even on "online speed dating" site. Let's pretend. We all sit with our webcams precariously pointed at a picture of someone that is at least twenty pounds lighter and ten years younger than ourselves. At the sound of the bell we begin questioning our potential suitor. "Do you have a 401K? Do you have a job? Do you like tomatoes?" The timer sounds and off we go to the next date. The problem could arise if more than one of us pirates the same photo to use as "me." Identical twin in Santa Fe? What happens if you find someone interesting? Is it like Classmates.com in that you have to pay for the gold package to send messages? If you don't find someone are you forever hassled about a gazillion folks checking out your profile, and you must want to know who, and you just MUST upgrade so you can get your twenty pound less, ten year younger ego stroked? It is all so very strange, this little cyber world we are creating for ourselves. A world where we can really make ourselves believe that we know people that we really don't, that we can trust people whom we have never met, and that we actually have things in common with people who use "handles" instead of their real names just in case...

Cyber security is a bit like an over ripe tomato. Good for certain things, but best not left on a car seat in the summer time.

(Figure that one out, SM)

G2

4 comments:

Lori Thornbrue said...

Actually, the bretheren are really concerned about all the virtual worlds that we are putting ourselves into......especially the youth. There is a fabulous talk at a CES fireside by Elder Bednar that is some really good reading. It talks about the sacredness of our bodies in a different way than I've ever heard of before. Look it up! It's worth the read.

Kira said...

Did the rental car company ever charge you for a "tomato clean up" fee? I can't imagine that it was fun to find that lost one after some nice cooking in the car!

2Grandmas2 said...

Good question, dear daughter. I'd forgotten about that one. Hmmmmmmm. That was a very small cherry tomato and the first time they pulled the emergency break handle they would have put their finger thru it, so I suspect it was found pretty quickly. Thanks for the memories.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm indeed, now the tomato thing becomes clear to me. S