Sunday, July 5, 2009

Cooling down

It is a cooler 79 degrees in the hallway right now. I am good as I just soaked down in the now blue and clear see-ment pond out my back door. (Alright, it is really fiberglass, but Granny always made me smile; she brought out the redneck in me, what can I say?)

Yesterday was a day of partying...again, what can I say? ;) Two great parties, with the second being next door so I could keep an eye on the critters and the house. By dusk the little horse was a bit worked up. After the big show across the street began I could hear her run with each window shaking blast. I went out to be with her for the duration. Today she is calmer, but upon cleaning the field I can see that she was really worked up, as it appears I have a cow out there rather than a horse. I will need to watch her closely for the next couple of days and make sure she doesn't dehydrate. I will also be giving her Probiotics until her gut returns to normal. I think next year I will be back to locking her up and turning on the music. Nothing can really be done about the big bangs as it is a fact of my life here. I guess I will just plan on July 4 nights in the barn.

I realized that it has been more than a month since I went target shooting, and that is a big no no. When I got my CCP one of the things I vowed was that I would get to the range at least every three weeks. So, guess what I will be doing tomorrow? I rather enjoy it and am looking forward to it. The sad thing about it is that ammo is very expensive now, and a bit hard to find. I have plenty as I listened to what the NRA said prior to the election and stocked up. Sadly, all that they have said has proven to be true. I try hard not to think about it and pick up any I can find whenever I go out. It is weird to have to put it into the budget, but it is now at that point. I guess we must be vigilant in doing our homework or our rights will be down the toilet. Scary times.

In other news: the garter snakes are quite pretty this year. Instead of the yellow stripes, this year's batch have red stripes. I have only seen one yellow striped this season, and believe me I have seen plenty. The corgis leave them alone, which keeps me quite happy. The only thing I hate more than being startled by a big 'un sunning, is having to remove a dead one. I mistakenly thought that the crows would take them away and they don't. However the dogs DO enjoy rolling on/in them. The neighbor dog is an amazing snake hunter, but she doesn't take them away either. So they are best off healthy and very much alive. A stomp of my foot nearby sends them slithering off to a safe place in the bushes.

The rain is supposed to come in on Tuesday. I have mixed feelings about it. Now that the pool is open I would prefer to keep the sunshine, but it is always nice to let Mother Nature do the watering. I think I will be swimming in the rain. Chances are that the temps will not drop off too much.

My forecast is for a nice week, and I wish to extend that to all. Don't let yourselves get so wrapped up in "getting there" that you forget to look around and enjoy the beauty of the ride.

G2

No comments: